Pathwright includes 8 role types that you can assign to your members in order to control what they have access to and to provide them with the features they need to perform their role well.
These 3 roles apply to all courses:
- Members can take any public or members-only courses or any course they're invited to.
- Library Editors can create new courses and cohorts and edit all the courses in your Library. They can also access the course settings and the cohort settings (includes commerce settings). However, they don't have access to the Account Dashboard or Account Settings.
- Administrators have access to everything and are the only ones that can view and interact with the Account Dashboard & Account Settings.
Each course in your Library has its own set of members with course-specific roles. For instance, you may have one member who's taking a course as a "learner" while being assigned the "teacher" or "moderator" role in another course.
There are 5 course-specific roles:
- New! Observers have view-only access to all course content, discussions, and notes; ideal for reviewers or auditors. Their progress is not tracked and their work is not submitted for staff to review.
- Learners have access to all the lessons and steps in your course and can track their progress, submit work, participate in discussions, and take notes as they progress through your course.
- Moderators can do everything a learner can do when they're in "Learn" mode, but can also switch to "Teach" mode, which enables them to access all the teaching tools. They can invite learners and other moderators to join, get notified about questions, give feedback on grades on submitted work, view all learners' progress, and more.
- Teachers can do nearly everything that a moderator can and also use "Edit mode" to edit the path for their cohort by removing, re-ordering, or adding steps and lessons that only apply to the cohort they're teaching and don't impact other cohorts or the Master itself. Teachers do NOT have access to "Learn" mode, so their progress is not tracked, but they can use Learner Preview mode to simulate the learner experience.
- Course Editors are members who have permission to edit all the content (Master and all cohorts) for a specific course or courses to which they have been invited. They can also access the course settings and the cohort settings (includes commerce settings) and create new cohorts for that course or courses. However, they don't have permission to edit other courses in your Library or to create new courses.
Here's a table that lists all permissions by role.
Want to learn more? See our article on how to manage the Pathwright member roles.