You may have a need to invite someone to a course with view-only access. For instance, you need to invite a person to review course material without having to complete assignments as a learner, and without permission to edit content like a staff member.
Or, you may want to offer certain members of your community the option to view content without completing the course for credit or receiving feedback from staff. If this is the case, you can invite the individual to a course as an observer.
What is an observer?
Observers have view-only access to all course content, discussions, and notes in courses in which they are enrolled as an observer.
Observers do not have permission to complete assessments, engage in discussions, or add or modify notes. They cannot complete steps (the button is hidden) and their progress through the course is not tracked for staff to view.
Note that observers are not counted towards the seat limit of a cohort, so you can limit the number of learners with whom you will interact and provide feedback, but allow unlimited observers to join the same cohort.
How to invite someone to a course as an observer
- First, view the Path you'd like to invite people to in "Teach" mode.
- Now, select the "Invite" button from the top of the Path.
- Enter the email address of each person you wish to invite. To invite many people at once, just add multiple emails with commas in between them. Invite up to 50 people at a time this way.
- Choose the role you'd like the people you're inviting to have (defaults to learner). Select the Observer role.
- Optionally, add a personal message (recommended). Now, just hit the "Send Invites" button. Your people will receive their invitation in their inbox in moments.
Change an observer's enrollment
Switch to another role
- Go to "View Learners" within the course.
- Next to the observer's name, select the "More actions" icon that looks like a vertical ellipsis.
- Select "Configure registration."
- Now select the desired role and save. That's it!
Remove from the course permanently
To remove an observer from a course permanently, deleting all data, go to "View Learners." Use the "Remove from group" option under additional actions (the vertical ellipsis icon to the right of a learner's name) to remove a particular observer.
Enrollments in other courses are not affected and the user will be able to re-enroll in the same or a different role.
To remove an observer's access to a course temporarily or after a set date, go to "View Learners." Use the "Configure registration" option under additional actions (the vertical ellipsis icon to the right of a learner's name) to set an expiration date on the observer's access to just this course.
The observer will see the course marked as "Access expired" on their home page. You can restore access anytime by removing the expiration date.
Access email address
To email an observer or capture their email address, open "View Learners" and you'll find the observer's email address under additional actions on the right. Click or tap on the email address to send an email to that individual. Right click or hold to copy the email address.
See an overview of all Pathwright member roles here.