Time is money. So even if you're not asking people to pay for your course, you're asking them to spend a good chunk of their precious time and mental effort. For most people this will take some intentional, careful persuasion.
This article guides you through creating an About page that helps you persuade people to sign up and feel motivated to start learning.
Your course About page
The "About" page on your course has room for everything your learners and potential learners need to know before they commit to taking your course. It includes...
- A brief summary
- A longer course description
- Course author name, picture, and bio information
- Features of each group
- Information about availability and price for each group
- A course trailer video (optional)
How to make a persuasive pitch
Make a short elevator pitch
- Click "Add a course description." Under "Summary," use one sentence to describe why someone should take this course.
- You will have more room below, so make this an attention-getting statement and keep it short and sweet.
Write an effective description
- Under "Description," add all the information you want someone to know before taking this course. You can include images and hyperlinks as well as text.
Here are some ideas about what to include....
- What the student will learn and how this will benefit him
- Objectives for the course
- How long the course takes most people to complete
- What is included in the course - video, audio, discussion, live sessions, etc.
- Prerequisites - if learners should enroll in another course before taking this one, consider linking to the required course
- Do you offer a scholarship? A certificate? CEUs? Include that here!
Describe what they'll get when they join
- Groups are listed on the right side of the screen. To edit Group features, click the gear-shaped Settings icon. Select "Features" and you'll have a place to enter a description of this Group. You can include images and hyperlinks here as well as text.
Here are some ideas about what to include...
- Consider using a bulleted list
- Include features or benefits unique to this Group
- Is the course self-paced or scheduled?
- Does the course come with active moderators who are available to discuss and offer feedback?
- Who else is taking the course? (Is it a worldwide audience or a private group?)
Increase value by introducing the Authors (optional)
- Select "Add author" to add or remove authors. Use the Author Manager (accessible via the gear-shaped "Settings" icon) to create a new author.
- Full instructions are available under "Add authors to your course About page."
Upload a course cover
Don't forget the aesthetics. Upload a beautiful, brand-appropriate cover image. Find instructions for customizing your course cover here.
Make a video pitch (optional)
- To embed a course trailer, click on "Course Settings" just below the course title at the top of the About page and then select "Advanced." You'll see a place to paste the embed code. Please use the full embed code and not just a URL. The video will need to come from a video hosting service that uses https.
A few examples of effective About pages
Some elements that you see will fill automatically or when you adjust certain settings. These include...
- Registration count - the number of people enrolled in the course displays automatically
- Price - appears when you change the price of the course (optional)
- Start date/end date - appears when you add a start and/or end date for the course (optional)
- Registration window dates and seats remaining (optional)