Including beautiful course cover art can inspire your students to learn about the topic you are teaching, just as a beautiful school campus can encourage learning.
Your course covers can also be a reflection of your brand. Below are a few examples of schools using course cover art:
Before choosing or creating your images, please note the following:
- Don’t include any text or meant-to-be-read details in the image. (Occasionally, one to two words of text may be okay, but be sure they are in the center and large enough at all sizes)
- Course covers with a variety of colors and contrast work best
- Course covers appear at a variety of sizes depending on context. It’ll help to select images or artwork that works well both large and small.
- The recommended dimensions are: 600 pixels wide by 450 pixels tall.
- Max file size is 4MB.
- You’ll upload your images as .PNG, .JPG, or .GIF but do not include any transparent backgrounds. .JPG images are recommended for most images.
- The course cover will blur to produce an atmospheric background behind the course path. You can edit this default background if needed.
To add your course image:
- Go to your course settings, which can be accessed by opening the course and selecting Settings directly under the course title.
- Select "Upload Cover" to pick an image from your computer or another location online.
- Upload your desired course cover to replace the default image.
- If you uploaded a cover image when you first created the course, it automatically generated a background color that is an atmospheric, or blurred, version of your original course cover. If not, you have a default background there.
- Select "Edit background" to replace the default background or edit the image that was produced by the cover image.
- You can also add or remove the blur setting, and you can use the color overlay option to add a solid or semi-transparent color. This can be used to tint or darken your image, so text shows up with better contrast.
By the way, if you don't know where to get beautiful course cover art, we highly recommend checking out https://unsplash.com/. They have free high-resolution photos that you are able to use for your course covers and even for your school banner.
Can't find the right picture? You can also use a free account at https://www.canva.com/ to create custom cover art.