For administrators and editors
Do you create course content that other people might want to teach or take with their own team, class, or group of friends?
In this article, we'll walk you through how to set up Pathwright's one-of-a-kind Member-created Cohorts feature.
How does it work?
The Member-created Cohorts feature enables other teachers, coaches, managers, etc. to guide their own private cohort of learners through your course for free, by subscription, or for a per-person fee you set.
Member-created Cohorts are available on the Complete Plan and above and include the following features:
A group leader can...
- Create their own cohort right from your Course About page (you won't need to set up anything - everything is self-serve).
- Privately invite their own learners to join their private cohort to take your course together.
- Use Pathwright's built-in teaching features to guide everyone through your course, give feedback, set deadlines, and personalize the learning experience (when using moderator or teacher role).
As the course owner, you can...
- Uniquely describe the benefits of the group purchase and prominently show the option to create a cohort on your Course About page.
- Offer group access for free or for a fee per member (e.g., $12 per member), or by subscription.
- Choose which role the group leader is assigned (learner, moderator, or teacher).
- Optionally set a required number of seats to create a group (e.g., purchase 4 seats minimum).
- Optionally set an expiration date for when the cohort access will expire.
- Optionally provide promotional codes that offer a certain percentage off of the regular listed price.
- Optionally enable the group leader's seat to be free.
How to enable Member-created Cohorts
Enabling the Member-created Cohorts option for any course only takes a minute. Here are the steps:
- Open Course Settings for the course where you want to enable Member-created Cohorts.
- From the Course Settings screen, select the "More settings" and then the "Member-created cohorts" option.
- Toggle the Enable member-created cohorts switch and then list 3-5 bullet points under "What's included" to highlight the benefits someone would get from creating their own group for your course (e.g., Take with your private group, Track everyone's progress, etc.).
💡 Tip: If you don't see the Member-created Cohorts option, please contact support at email@example.com and we'll help you get the feature enabled in your account.
Set a price per member (optional)
- If you'd like to charge per member, select the Pricing & Access option.
- To charge for access, enter the amount the cohort creator will pay per member. This enables the cohort creator to pay for any number of members when they create their group and pay for them in advance (e.g., $9 per member for 12 members of a group = $108).
- You may also optionally set a minimum number of seats that group creators will be required to purchase in order to create their cohort.
Select cohort creator role (defaults to Moderator)
Select the role that the group leader will be automatically assigned when a group is formed. Learn more about roles here.
- Learners can take the course and if they are the group creator, they can invite other observers and learners to the group.
- Moderators can both take and teach the course and invite observers, learners, and moderators.
- Teachers can teach and edit the course for their group, and invite observers, learners, moderators, and teachers. They can preview the course as a learner, or sign up with another account to take the course as a learner and track their own progress.
Make group access expire (optional)
- If you'd like to set an expiration date for cohort access, select the Pricing & Access option.
- Change access from "Never expires" to "Expires..." and enter the number of days until the group will expire after it is created (e.g., a group with 30 days of access set will expire 30 days from when the group creator starts it). Note that once the cohort expires, the cohort creator and their learners will no longer be able to access the course.
💡Tip: Under Course Settings, go to More Settings and you'll see an option that says "Always visible?" with an on-off toggle. Switch this on if the only option for taking your course is as a group using the Member-created Cohorts option. This will allow your course to be public without creating any other public cohorts.