Spruce up your course with photos, artwork, charts or diagrams, gifs, and more with Image Blocks. Make an image interactive by dropping points anywhere on the image that display text annotations upon hover. Mix images into readings, assessments, or any step you like with our mix-and-match Blocks.
👉Tip: This article will cover image Blocks for single images. To see more options for adding multiple images in a single Block, see Gallery Image Blocks.
Sample Image Block: learner preview mode on left and edit mode on right
How to add images
- Create a new step on your course Path and open the step.
- Select "Image" then choose one layout option (you can switch between layout options later). You've added a Block to your step!
- Select "Replace Image" and use the Media Manager to upload and insert your image.
- Optionally add more Blocks. When finished, hit Publish.
You can switch between five types...
- Centered - this centers the image on the page with space on all side.
- Full width - this completely fills the width of the step with the image.
- Image with text - this places the image to the left, with text on the right.
- Text on image - provides a full-width banner-style image with text on top.
- Image with annotations - provides a centered image where you can drop multiple points and add text annotations for learners to explore on hover or tap.
Annotated image example
You can additionally...
- Upload files in the following formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF, etc.
- Reuse files in other steps once stored in the Media Manager.
- Use the full text editor, including hyperlinks, on the Image with text, Text on image layouts, and Image with annotations.
Q. What are the recommended file sizes and resolutions?
A. See the end of the Media Manager article here.
Q. Can I link to a file from one of the layouts with text?
A. You can add a hyperlink, but for attached files, we recommend using the Attachments Block.
Q. Can I add a hyperlink to an image?
A. We don't currently support hyperlinked images, but you can hyperlink text, and you can embed any media that provides an embed code using an Embed Block.
Q. Do you have plans for more interactive Blocks?
A. We do have more in the works, but check out our Flashcards with images.
Q. Can I resize images?
A. Yes, you can crop an image before uploading or after uploading. If you've already uploaded the image, find the image in your Media Manager and select Details, then Edit Image. After editing, reinsert the edited image into the step. See more about using the Media Manager here.
Q. Are images compressed or otherwise optimized for faster loading?
A. We do not compress images uploaded to image Blocks, but the following may happen to an image uploaded anywhere in the Blocks media manager:
- We limit image dimensions to 2000 x 2000.
- We limit image (storage) size to 100mb per image.
- Certain block types (ex: image with text, etc.) will restrict image size based on their particular layout.
To summarize, we don't automatically compress your images, but we do have some limitations in place to optimize load time.
Q. How do I move one of my annotations?
A. You'll need to delete the existing one and create a new one where you want it.
All Blocks enable you to...
- Toggle between similar layouts.
- Duplicate the Block to edit and reuse on the same step.
- Reorder Blocks up and down the page.
- Insert additional Blocks above or below.
- Delete Blocks.
- Preview the entire step as a learner.
- Undo previous edits (Control+Z to undo your last edit to text, or click "Publish," then "Discard" to undo all edits since you last published the step).
- Copy & paste the entire step or lesson and reuse in the same course or another course.