Insert a paragraph question Block to allow learners to type and submit a response directly in the step. You can use this for short or long answer questions on an assessment, or just to encourage learners to engage and enter their thoughts, more like a private journal or workbook. Staff can optionally review, assign points, and leave feedback.
Sample Paragraph Block: learner preview mode on the left and edit mode on the right
How to add a paragraph question Block
- Create a new step on your course Path and open the step.
- Select "Assessment" then "Paragraph." You've added a Block to your step!
- Replace the template text with a question of your own or instructions.
- Optionally add more Blocks. When finished, hit Publish.
- Add a question to which you require a typed response.
- Optionally add an answer explanation. This will display after the question is answered, depending on your choices in the step settings.
- Require review or let the step auto-grade the response based on completion.
- Receive notification when an answer is submitted and leave comments, a video, audio, or file in your response, and assign points (optional).
- Type and submit a response.
- Complete the assignment in order to mark the step complete.
- Depending on your choices in the step settings, learners can reset their response to take again and view the answer explanation immediately, if provided.
- View points and feedback by email and in-app, when applicable.
Q. How do I adjust points and grading notifications?
A. Open the step settings to adjust these settings and more for the step.
Q. How can I allow my learners to submit a paper or project as a file?
A. Insert a "Submit" Block instead and ask learners to submit their paper or project as a file.
Q. Can my learners upload files, video, audio, etc. to the question or include formatting?
A. The field permits only plain text. If you'd like your learners to upload a more complex assignment, you probably want to use a "Submit" Block instead.
All Blocks enable you to...
- Toggle between similar layouts.
- Duplicate the Block to edit and reuse on the same step.
- Reorder Blocks up and down the page.
- Insert additional Blocks above or below.
- Delete Blocks.
- Preview the entire step as a learner.
- Undo previous edits (Control+Z to undo your last edit to text, or click "Publish," then "Discard" to undo all edits since you last published the step).
- Copy & paste the entire step or lesson and reuse in the same course or another course.