A monthly or annual subscription plan allows your learners to register in one or more courses of your choice for a monthly or yearly cost. You will be able to make each course offering available for one-off purchase or subscription or both.
Pathwright handles all of the following for you:
- An easy subscription process allows anyone to subscribe via credit card.
- Automatic monthly or annual billing is handled seamlessly.
- We securely store credit card information so you don't have to worry about PCI compliance.
- We will automatically notify your subscribers by email if their card can't be charged as well as automatically cancel their subscription after four attempts if they don't update their card.
- Payment history can be accessed by the learner from his or her account.
- We even provide an option for your learners to pause a subscription for a length of time instead of outright canceling which decreases your churn rate.
- You may optionally offer Gift Subscriptions for anyone to gift access to your courses to anyone else for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.
- You may offer discount codes to give learners access for whatever number of free months you choose on a monthly plan.
- Optionally send receipts to learners for their payments.
- Activation on the current Essentials Plan (or an older plan that includes subscriptions in the feature list) is required to take advantage of the subscription feature. The Essentials Plan includes one live subscription plan, while the Complete Plan and above include multiple subscription plans (i.e. both monthly and annual plans).
- You will need to have a Stripe account linked to your school to accept payment by subscription.
Shoot us an email (email@example.com) or in-app chat message with the following information, and we’ll get you all set up:
- Is this a monthly plan or annual plan?
- What is the confirmed price* per person per monthly or annual cycle?
- A title for the plan (2-4 words)
- A short description of what's included in the plan in a paragraph or less or a few bullet points
- Should card information be required when applying a code for free access?
- A 100 px by 100 px image that represents the plan (normally these look a bit like a badge)
*Please confirm the price before requesting plan setup as the price cannot be edited. See FAQs below for more info.
After the plan is set up, you will need to opt-in each course that you want to include. If you're using multiple cohorts, each cohort can be opted in individually.
- To opt a cohort into a subscription plan, edit the Commerce settings.
- Select any plans you want the course included in. Select "Not available for non-subscribers" if you do not want to make the course available for a single purchase price.
If you would like to add a gift subscription purchase option to your monthly subscription plan, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a chat message and let us know the following:
- Which of the following intervals would you like to make available for purchase? The available intervals are 1, 3, 6, and 12 months.
- Would you like this linked on your menu? Or will you be adding a promo page for gift subscription sales to your account like this one?
By default, we'll add the gift subscription option as a link on your menu. If you'd like to create a full promotional page for gift subscriptions, you can create a page and add a button link with the URL we provide and we can then iframe the page into your school at no extra cost as long as it meets the requirements listed here.
Lifetime Plans are available, but should be considered to be in beta. Use a Lifetime Plan to provide a single purchase price for Lifetime access to a set of your courses.
Lifetime Plans, unlike recurring plans...
- Do support percent-off discount codes.
- Do not support the gift subscription option built-in.
- Cannot be paused or cancelled (obviously!). You can refund the payment from Stripe, but you will need to get in touch with support to end access to a Lifetime subscription plan for a learner.
Q. Can I offer both a monthly and annual option for a single plan?
A. Yes, if you want to provide both a monthly subscription option and a yearly subscription option, this counts as two plans, and you will need to send separate details for each. Learners will need to choose whether to pay monthly or annually when they subscribe.
Q. Can my members subscribe to multiple subscription plans?
A. Learners can only subscribe to one subscription plan at a time. If they would like to switch plans, they will need to cancel, wait until the end of the billing period, and resubscribe. As long as they resubscribe under the same login on another plan that includes their courses, all their progress in their courses is automatically kept intact.
Q. Can I include private courses in a subscription plan?
A. You can include private courses in a subscription plan; however, note that the plan will be public by default.
Q. What happens if I want to change the price of a plan?
A. The price of a subscription plan cannot be edited after setup. However, we can switch out your existing plan for a new plan to allow for a pricing change up to once per quarter. If you do have subscribers on the plan we retire, they will have continued access, but if their subscription is cancelled or they lose access due to failed payments, then they will need to use the new plan to resubscribe. You can manually cancel a learner's subscription as needed.
Q. How do I manage and find reports on my subscribers?
A. You can manage and track subscribers in your Pathwright account and in Stripe. Learn more about managing subscribers here.
Q. What will the plans look like for learners?
A. Here is an example of what subscription plans look like in a Pathwright school. This example has both a monthly plan and an annual plan available.
Q. Where is the badge used?
A. The learner sees the badge when subscribed. Here's a screenshot that includes an example of a badge.