Free domain and hosting on all plans
Pathwright provides you with a custom subdomain for free formatted like this: subdomainofyourchoice.pathwright.com. If you would simply like to change the subdomain that you chose at sign-up, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can change that for you.
Custom domains start with the Essentials Plan and above, so if you're on the Starter Plan or haven't activated your account yet, you may be asked to activate or upgrade.
Here are the steps to add your custom domain:
- Purchase the domain name you'd like to use from Namecheap, GoDaddy, Hover, or any other domain name provider.
Contact us at email@example.com or through the chat feature in your school and provide the following information:
- what is the registrar for your custom domain?
- what is the URL for your custom domain?
- We'll send you a custom verification record to add to your provider and help you get that set up. The link will need to be used to complete the setup within 72 hours.
Q. I already own a domain name that I use for my primary website. Can I use that name or must I create a separate domain?
A. We can't put your school on a domain name that is identical to your primary website, but you can use a subdomain, and that should be free for you to use. For example, if your primary website is yourname.com, a subdomain would look like learn.yourname.com.
Q. I don't have a primary website and I would like to direct my domain name to my Pathwright account without using a subdomain. Is this possible?
A. Yes, it's possible, but here are a few considerations. We have two options for setting this up:
- We can put your school on a subdomain, like learn.yourname.com. This would leave room for you to eventually create a separate landing page at www.yourname.com and yourname.com if you chose to do so in the future.
- If you want to keep your domain yourname.com reserved exclusively for your school, the best option would be to use CloudFlare DNS, because CloudFlare can forward an apex domain to Pathwright properly whereas most other DNS providers don't allow that. CloudFlare is free to use and we can walk you through the process.